My CV in pdf can be downloaded here.
I am a highly motivated, self-starter with a solid background in distributed systems resource management and exposure to data science tools, machine learning and data mining concepts. Currently I am a software engineer at JPMorgan, working on a distributed platform for financial risk calculations.
I was a Research Staff at IBM T.J.Watson Research Center (New York), US until November 2018. Before moving to New York and joining IBM in January 2016 I was a postdoc researcher at Vrije University in Amsterdam (NL) and Chalmers Technical University in Gothenburg (Sweden).
I finished my graduate studies at Politehnica University of Bucharest and during my Master I did an internship at INRIA in the Myriads group in the small and yet amazing city of Rennes, France. During the internship I implemented a high availablity framework that allowed geo-distributed services to experience low latency overheads and reduced number of replica reconfigurations in a dynamic and large scale system.
The most fun part of the project was running my designed algorithms on large-scale academic testbeds and test them with hundreds of service instances. This outcome gave me a taste for distributed systems research. I further pursued a PhD at University of Rennes 1, France while being lucky to frequently interact with people involved in system management for nuclear simulations at Electricite de France. The outcome of my PhD was a resource management framework for running HPC applications (batch MPI and task farming) on a private cloud. I provided automated life-cycle management and used spot market algorithms for prioritizing and scaling application resources, as well as load-balacing and migration algorithms for resource placement. The solutions I implemented allowed more applications to share the infrastructure at the same time and incentivized scientists to better plan their computations, improving the total system utilization.
- Ph.D in Computer Science, University of Rennes 1, 2013
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, Politehnica University of Bucharest, 2010
- B.Eng. in Computer Science, Politehnica University of Bucharest, 2008
January 2016 - November 2018 : IBM T.J.Watson Research Center, US
- Research Staff working on resource management for container cloud platforms, mostly focused on data analytics and deep learning applications. Technologies and programming languages: Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes, NoSQL datastores, Spark, Tensorflow, C, Java, Scala, Golang.
September 2015 - December 2015: Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Postdoc researcher working on stream processing for IoT. Technologies and programming languanges: Spark, Flink, Java, Scala.
February 2014 - August 2015: Vrije University Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Postdoc researcher working on HPC cloud resource management and scalability of cloud software systems. Technologies and programming languages: NoSQL datastores, Java, Python.
September 2013 - January 2014: INRIA Rennes-Bretagne Atlantique, France
- Research engineer working on performance evaluation of application deployment in a multi-cloud environment. Technologies and programming languages: OpenStack, Java, shell.
May 2010 - July 2013: INRIA Rennes-Bretagne Atlantique, France
- Research engineer working on resource management for HPC clouds. Technologies and programming languages: MPI, ZeroMQ, MySQL, Python, shell.
Vrije University Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lecturer for the Advanced Topics in Distributed Systems course, (2nd year master), Fall 2014
Teaching Assistant for the Performance of Networked Systems course, (1st year master), Spring 2014, 2015
“Politehnica” University of Bucharest, Romania
- Computer Graphics (3rd year course), Fall 2008
- Graphic Processing Systems (4th year course), Fall 2008
- Operating Systems (3rd year course), Fall 2007